Sunday, September 7, 2008

The New Prejudice

I get so irritated each time I hear someone talk about Sarah Palin's little boy and how devastating it must have been for her family. I know that having a child with special needs can be a huge challenge, one that families do not often anticipate. I get that. What I dont get is the societal opinion that a child with Down's Syndrome, or Autism, or Cerebral Palsy is anything less than perfect. On Friday, I actually heard a talk show host who I admire tell a caller whose child is Down's that he was "sorry". Sorry for what? Sorry that her child didnt turn out "perfect?" Do we live in Nazi Germany? No one is perfect. NO ONE. God made us for a reason. All of us. He gives all of us challenges - some more difficult than others. We all have a purpose. Even the tiniest little mustard seed has a purpose on this earth. Whether it sprouts up for a single solitary day or blossoms for centuries.

I have family members with special needs (one of whom has Down's Syndrome) and I can tell you - they are much more decent than you or I.

If you are a Christian, you know that true perfection is measured by your closeness to God. These children are the closest you can get to perfection.

No comments: